Monday, March 19, 2007

Not good

Election day came and went. Results are not good, to put it very mildly. To put it less mildly, it was an effing dreadful election - only something like 67% of the electorate actually cast a vote, something that just doesn't cease to piss me off (I mean, people have given their lives for the right to vote, goddamit). The other thing is, of those who did bother to drag their asses to the polling stations, a surprising majority voted straight out of their asses.

Ok, let's immediately take a firm step backwards from what I've just said. Because this is not how democracy works - it's not democracy that everybody thinks like I do and votes like I do. In a democracy, people decide who they wish to vote for - startlingly, even if it really disagrees with *my* sensibilities - and the people who receive the majority vote have power for the next parliamentary period. But still, oh god of all agnostics. The vote swung to the right an *incredible* amount. I worry about the increasing gap between the rich and the poor, about the basic welfare state services, which I believe to be the foundation of any modern-day civilised nation, being eaten away. My native land, good night.

No comments: