Monday, May 29, 2006

Pig's ear

So many goings-on in the world leave me with a powerful sense of powerlessness combined with a real anger. I wish I knew what to do. I wish I was all-powerful to do it. Instead, I download a badge to display on this site. It does seem pretty meager.

What I want to know is if a sufficient amount of people really cared, would it really make a difference? In other words, is there hope?

Addendum to previous: I was reading my Sunday papers online and came across an article or two that made me just so livid with the state of everything. I am here in the US as a guest and consequently feel it is not my place to rant and rave about my host nation, but surely, surely anybody can see it is morally unjustifiable to imprison children like this (not that I agree with imprisoning adults in this fashion either)?

Cue more bad news: some wanker throws his children off a 14th story balcony to spite his wife, the death toll in Indonesia rises exponentially, peace seems ever more distant to people in East Timor, and so on.

And the Pope had gone to Auschwitz. Do you know, I couldn't believe it that no previous Pope has!

I am not a religious person – there have been periods in my life when I have tried to or hoped I could be, but I am endowed with a scientific world view and cannot change that. But when I read what the Pope had said in Auschwitz, something about how this ultimate evil leaves us with a silence that calls to God, why did you allow this, I did feel something like recognition. I feel like my silence shouts up to the "heavens", the universe that surrounds us, if you are there, oh intelligent alien life forms, make sure you don't come down here. I would be so embarrassed to show you what a pig's ear my species has made of paradise.

© 2006 Anna MR

No comments: